(Effective 1 August 2001)
These are the highlights of the policy. For the full policy click here.
- Everyone must have a PINES library card in good standing to use a computer without Internet access. A PINES library card in good standing and a signed Internet Policy Acceptance Form are required to use a computer with Internet access.
- Everyone must sign in at the front desk to use a computer. Internet users must present a PINES library card and a photo ID/birth certificate. Minors may not use Internet computers unless a parent/legal guardian signs them in. Minors with their own PINES library cards may sign for use of a non-internet computer themselves. An accompanying adult may sign up a minor to use a non-Internet computer when the minor does not have a library card.
- The library's computers are set up for optimal use by a single individual. With the exception of a minor and parent, only one user per computer terminal is permitted.
- Minors (under 18) are not permitted access to chat rooms.
- Computers shall not be used for illegal activity or access to pornography/obscene materials.
- Installation, downloading, or modification of software is prohibited.
- Users shall not make any attempt to gain unauthorized access to restricted computer files or networks, to damage or modify computer equipment or software.
- Prompt payment is required by users who incur charges for printing. Users must pay for everything they print.
- Computer use is on a "first come, first served" basis. Users shall sign up in person to use the Internet on a "next available terminal" basis. Latecomers forfeit their time.
- Internet access sessions shall be limited to 60 minutes, unless no one is waiting for that computer. Patrons must sign off the computers 10 minutes prior to closing.
- The number of computer sessions available per day, per user, may be established by the Librarian in charge.
- Misuse of library computers or violation of the "Hart County Library's Rules of Conduct for Use of Library Computers" may result in the loss of computer privileges. A patron will receive a warning for the first offense; a second offense will result in loss of Internet access privileges for two weeks; a third offense will result in permanent loss of Internet access privileges.
- Internet Privacy and Safety.